Thursday, January 14, 2016

01/12/2016 - Hanging with the Hoe

I didn't get much sleep, in fact, I only managed to squeeze in a little over three hours after last night's post. I jumped out of bed and got dressed before taking my dad's car to the dealership for some maintenance. I met up with one of the associates and got all the paperwork completed, then I just sat in the waiting area with some free coffee and killed time studying and playing android games.

An hour and a half later, the maintenance was completed and I headed to my dad's work to switch his car with mine. While I was there, he asked if I had time to wash the fish tank in his office. Just seeing the tank made me feel uncomfortable with its murky waters and yellowish tinge, so I agreed to help him out... By the time I finished, I felt like the waters have contaminated the hands that touched it. Yuck.

I said my goodbyes and drove back home. I ate a little to put something in my stomach, then passed out for the remainder of the afternoon.

When I woke up, it was nearly time to meet up with Andrew, whom I've nicknamed the "hoe" a while back. At around 5, he picked me up and headed to a poke restaurant to eat. This was probably the first time I've ever eaten poke before, but at the same time, I have a feeling I had it before. I might be mixing it up with a chirashi bowl though;  maybe I'm just terrible at this "food" thing. Haha!


After our dinner, we headed to the movie theaters to watch The Forest. Yes, I've already seen the reviews of the movie online and they weren't all that generous. A 11% on rotten tomatoes almost screams "trash," but to me, a horror movie is a horror movie. The movie started out fine, but slowly grew into the stereotypical horror movie. Since Andrew has been my go-to person to watch horror movies with for as long as I can remember, it became "a must" to discuss what we thought about the movie after watching it. To me, the movie was far too cliched and lacked the scariness that other horror movies may possess. That's pretty much all the opinions I can offer without revealing any of the movie's story line (for those who still want to watch it). One of the biggest issues people have with this film is how it made a real story (and issue) in Japan into an American horror film. Hm....



After the film, we walked around Barnes and Noble at a nearby shopping plaza before heading to Dripp. That night, I doubled checked with the employee about a previous promotion and it turns out it's still valid. For those who watch movies at Harkins, they can get a 10% discount if they show their movie ticket (if they decide to drop by Dripp the same evening). For the next hour or so, we sat outside chatting away about our school life and future endeavors, while I froze in the cold. The amount of coffee that Andrew ingested was a little too much for him; he felt he needed another meal to help soothe his perturbed stomach.


As it was already 10 in the evening, most restaurants were closed except the few fast food joints around the area. Andrew wanted something light, so we went to Albertson's to search for something. We literally walked around the supermarket, revisiting isles several times before Andrew decides on getting chapstick... In the end, he never got food and instead, got Strongbow apple cider that will be drinking while we hang out a little longer at my place. I still can' believe it took us 30 minutes to an hour to pick out two things from the supermarket...


The next two hours at my place were spent on chatting and playing 221B Baker Street (my newest and most favorite board game) and Exploding Kittens. For 221B Baker Street, you play as a detective solving criminal cases by gathering clues scattered across the different locations on board. In a sense, the game is similar to Clue, but at the same time, it's not quite the same. As I mentioned before, I love puzzles, so games like these that tickle the mind really appeal to me. Exploding Kittens, on the other hand, was a strategic card game that revolves around... well... exploding kittens. Draw one, and you lose. It's as simple as that. Of course you can prevent death by playing your actions cards strategically to get your opponents out first.

Oops, apologies for the red tinge of the photos. I forgot to change the settings on my camera

After 4 bottles of cider and hours of catching up, he returned home and I knocked out. Definitely too much cider for me that night.

-Jeffjeff

No comments:

Post a Comment