Monday (after lunch): At 1pm, it was time for Greg's workshop (that Faith, Aaron, Nathan, Kathy, and Michelle) signed up for, but I had to battle the powerful effects of "food coma." For those who have never heard of that phrase, it's used to describe the sleepiness you feel after eating a lot of food. I sat on top of one of the bunks (in the girls cabin where the workshop was held) with Kathy and before I knew it, I fell asleep. A few moments later, I wake up, only to notice that I've been asleep for quite a while.
I continued to ignore the lesson (which I regret) and took pictures of people and with people before the lecture ends with a self-group prayer.
We headed out and just had a mild snowball fight with everyone before our next activity began at 3:30pm. Building snowballs with (not the powder snow) moderately soft snow and throwing them at Michelle, Tony, Isabel, Faith, Aaron, and Nathan was quite the excitement :) (especially the thrill of getting them good :D), but the real snowball fight would be tomorrow.

Well, once everyone was done with their respective workshops, we all headed back into the Oak Lodge, settled down and suppressed our excitement. For the next thirty minutes, our whole group of church-goers were tasked with the mission to build the tallest newspaper tower with only 4 sheets of newspaper, but that wasn't all. Once we were done, we had to be able to move the tower over towards the center of the room without it collapsing.
So, with everyone split up into their small groups, we all began rolling, folding, and taping the newspaper to the ideal tower. My group (Jordan's group: Matthew, Josh, Joseph, Jeremy, Allen, and me) thought we'd roll our newspaper into cone shapes to maximize the height of the tower; however, the higher we build it, the more weight the base of the tower would have to support. It took many tries to mold the base and form the tallest building, but luckily, our tower did not come in last; in fact, it was far from it.
When it was time to move our towers toward the middle of the room for judging (by David), many towers fell apart, tipped over, and died on its own. Michelle's tower needed the microphone stand to keep it balanced, Gloria's tipped over before it was even judged, and just when they had it back up... it tipped over, knocking half of the towers over (except ours, which later gets knocked down). Here's a picture of our tower and the winning tower (yes, we needed to make our "artistic" tower a leaning tower to keep it balanced and standing).

Well, after all the judging, Michelle's group came in last and Eric's group came in first with the tallest and sturdiest tower. The winning group was rewarded with some Dora the Explorer gummies, while the loser team had to be punished (but due to the difficult task of choosing the loser with all the toppled towers, there was no punishment for them).
Well after all that intense competition, everyone split up and enjoyed their own form of "free time." Kathy, Nathan, Aaron, Faith, and I decided to "explore" the frozen camp grounds rather than indulge ourselves with the warmth in our cabins. We found several frozen rivers, some were layered with thick ice (enough that I could jump and stomp on it without it cracking), while others were so thin that walking on it would be impossible.
We found some animal tracks and Kathy immediately labeled them as dog tracks and suggested to follow it. The tracks do look like dog prints, but the pattern of the steps is far too awkward for it to be a dog, fox, or any other four legged animal (prints were all in a straight line and spread out quite far apart). The only possibility for it to be true is if this animal was running, but otherwise I'd say it wasn't a dog... Anyway!

We kept walking about until we reached some barbed wires and behind these wires were houses! I'm sure that we were at the camp's edge, and going beyond that wouldn't be smart, so we turned back and took a different route to the cabins. But this particular route had so much deep snow, that half my calves would disappear in the snow (and my shoes got wet D:). Well, we took a detour and headed to the "victory circle" where we saw a group of our church-goers hanging about.
This is when things got heated up. Daniel (a senior in high school) was talking to Nathan about learning how to ignore people (I don't know why, but I think something happened before this). Well, Faith decided to push Daniel for fun to see if he'd follow up on his words and ignore her, but he didn't seem like he was in the mood for jokes and he pushed her back, cussing. Those two began arguing, calling each other names, insulting each other, but from a third person point of view, I can tell that neither of them wanted this to happen. Daniel continued provoking Faith, ultimately leading to her kick up his butt :O!
Well, Josh comes not too long after (spectating), and has them break up their fight. He listens to both their stories and has them make up on their own.
After all that, those two calmed down, but they don't talk/apologize to each other till later in the evening during dinner. For the rest of "free time" we spent it building igloos, playing with snow, burying Jordan, and going back to the cabin to enjoy the warmth before dinner :).

Sauced chicken, flavored rice, and chocolate cake with frosting. Yum!

More to come tomorrow! Readers digression: It gets religious :).
---------------------------------------
No readers, I'm not done with Monday :). I guess HALF of Monday is too much to finish in one night (especially when one of my roommates is already sleeping).
On to today's portion! I ended up skipping my 8am class once again and it's only the first week of school. What am I going to do!? I talked a little with Elliot and thought of some ways to have me up and ready during that time (my parents shall call me :D). I didn't want to turn to them, but I do need their help in making this a routine for me, so THANKS MOM AND DAD!
Backtracking a little. I had several dreams last night (that I won't be discussing) that has really kept me thinking all day. In other words, I was "out of it" and it took me sometime before I told myself to concentrate and forget about these thoughts. Going on about dreams, for the last three days, I've been having dreams with showers in them. At times, I'd be taking a shower and other times I'll see a shower stall in my dream. Do I have an obsession for showering? LOL! O yes, THANKS JUSTIN AND PATTY (you guys know why :D)!
I woke up around 10, got ready and went to my other two classes (physics and psych) and headed back to my place to eat some grub. I made myself some ramen with egg and some homemade pork (parents made that and had me take it there). After, I played some games, talked with friends, and other usual routines that I follow.
I chose to take a 30 minute nap (it was 30 minutes because I was talking with Justin about those dreams LOL!) before heading off to my 6pm lab. Yes, this is a new quarter, which means this lab is different than my previous lab. This TA is also quite nice and helps the students understand and grasp the meaning behind each question and lab; however, she did seem a little impatient with me today (which brings me to the survey I took last night for psych that I will talk about later). Not only that, due to my first impressions, I secluded myself from the people that spoke to me :P, so I decided that being a social bee would be my New Year's Resolution, apart from good grades.
I headed to Elliot's room and chilled with him and his roommate before heading back and yea!
-Jeffjeff
&&That psych survey (it's for credits) I spent an hour last night on was quite entertaining. It asks a lot about whether I feel like my teacher acts the way they do towards me because of my race. I disagreed with all of them, but it made me think about it during lab. Then again, it's not worth having that survey affect my thoughts and such and such. Here's a sample of the survey (can you really take it seriously?): (Am I very heavy? No, not even close. LOL! I chose it for fun :D).

&&Fun facts I learned today! Taller people tend to have larger and heavier brains. Humans have the heaviest brains proportional to their size (unlike blue whales who have the largest brains in the animal kingdom, but it's unproportional to the body), men have larger brains than women, size and weight of a brain has nothing to do with intelligence in the animal kingdom, size and weight of a brain has little to do with intelligence for humans. :)
&&Here are some pictures of Monday morning at the retreat. O and I made my first snow angel :).

icicles :D

&&For those who are curious, I'm taking Sociology 1, Psychology 1, Physics 6A, Chemistry 1B (and 1BL), and several other minor classes for discussion and tutoring purposes, so my schedule is quite packed. Future reference: I may not post on Thursdays because after this week, I'll be having lab from 6pm to 10pm, leaving me no time to type up a post like this.
&&I did say I wouldn't post pictures of people in them, but I'll make an exception this time. No stalking please!
&&Note: Yes, I deleted a few things and editted a few things. If any of you have suggestions or requests to change or remove certain things on my blog, please do tell me :). Thanks!




No comments:
Post a Comment