Friday, January 7, 2011

Finishing Day 2 of the Retreat!

First week of the Winter Quarter is finally over! For those who read my blog, encourage me once in a while :). It always seems quite empty, but I know my lit family and quite the lot of others read, so yea!

----------------------------------------

Monday: After dinner, my little group of kiddies and I headed off to the Oak Lodge where Jason will be completing his three points about the retreat. I've mentioned before that the first point was whole-heartedness, but the two new aspects of "You Down?" would be commitment and brokenness. The term commitment is self-explanatory, but some of you may wonder what "brokenness" means.

Jason spoke of Peter's story with Jesus around the time He (Jesus) was crucified. Peter, who thought that his "way" of following Jesus demonstrated his loyalty and trust, denies that he is a follower of Jesus three times, as Jesus had predicted before the time of his crucifixion. It was until later, after His (Jesus's) resurrection, that Peter answered Jesus's question, "Do you love me?" thrice, each time responding with a yes.

Now, back to the term, brokenness. (I don't want to be misleading or wrong, but what I got from it was...) In this case, it means the realization that simply praying and going to church doesn't cut "following God." Not just that, but noticing the lifestyle you live, doesn't necessarily reflect your faith as a Christian.

So following Jason, speech regarding the last two points. Everyone prayed their own prayers (I will only share my experience, no one else's). Basically, I noticed how half-hearted I've been doing things and how I've asked God for help and yet don't make the effort to follow up on it. I felt so unworthy for His love when I've always questioned Him, "Why would you have me suffer?" And it was at that moment, when I realized how much I needed God in my life and how much I love(d) Him. This ache was enough to bring me down into tears.

But all that was broken when Faith, Nathan, and I headed off for our snacks back at the dining hall. Having that nice sob session and prayer, I felt a bit more relieved like a heavy weight has just been lifted off my shoulders, or in this case, my heart. Nathan didn't seem like his giddy self either, so I asked him what's up and he told faith and me that Jason's speech really touched him and he chose to make some changes in his lifestyle, which was great to hear! We got ourselves some drinks (hot cocoa for me) and headed off to our respective small groups, where we'll be reflecting that night's speech.
For our group (Jordan's group), a discussion wasn't necessary, only a prayer. So we split up into groups of 3 and prayed individually for each other's problems and issues or concerns. Afterwards, we just discussed our ideas for the campfire skit (that we never had) and decided to tell jokes, religious jokes (that doesn't offend/attack any religions). Heres one we decided on: What's the difference between Jesus and Chuck Norris? Jesus walks on water, but Chuck Norris swims on land! LOL! (I'm sorry it's not so funny in text as it is hearing it from another person ;D). Anyway, following our little discussion about jokes, we began playing a card game, known (in our region) as Indian Poker.

Indian Poker involves pulling a card out of the deck (or from the top) and placing it on your forehead. You can't see your own, but you can see everyone else's. Then you decide what "rule" you want to go by. For example, highest card loses. So those with an ace (regardless of suites) will receive the punishment. In our case, we played for 10 pushups, then 20, then 30 and decided on a variety of rules such as "doubles, lowest, spades, middle card, or etc. loses." With more and more people coming in, we had more and more joining and ultimately, we decided a cruel punishment for our last game: whoever loses must stand outside topless (this is between guys people) in the snow, while the rest of us (winners) throws one snowball at you.

Jordan and Matt (in our group) loses. :) It's a shame everyone missed (50 feet away? Nighttime?).

Well it was time to call it a night, so I took a shower and went to bed (after everyone else in my cabin), but decided to make a list of things that happened that day just for my readers before falling asleep.

----------------------------------------

-Jeffjeff

&&Had some delicious Korean grub tonight :).
&&I'm jealous of Raymond's winter break :(, he got to do so many things I have yet to experience.
&&Shoutout to Justin! I reject your song :) K Thanks Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment