Friday, June 13, 2014

Clubbing at Babe18

I honestly believe that this was the best clubbing experience I had since I turned 21. For those of you who don't know, Americans are required to be 21 to start legally drinking alcohol, gambling(in some states), and clubbing.

After coming home from my classes on a late Thursday afternoon, I surfed the web in my room for several hours before starting on my Hakka assignment. It took roughly 1.5 hours to translate the song, Fairy Tale by Guang Liang (童話-光良) from mandarin to Hakka. I managed to finish the translations at ~10:30PM, so I met up with Jeff, Justin (his cousin), and Murphy at the 7-11 next to our dorms. Murphy was planning on pre-gaming (drinking before heading to the club), so we browsed around the alcohol section at the 7-11; ultimately deciding that it wasn't necessary. We called a taxi and went on our way.


Upon arrival, we saw Mindy standing at the entrance to the club, but not because she was waiting for us. Apparently, Julia, another one of our Californian friends, attempted to enter the club with her student ID. Of course, the club denied her and requested that she attained a passport or license that can better verify her age (and the validity of identification). While the girls were waiting with Julia outside, we paid our entrance fees and walked down the stairs into the club (didn't even have to wait in line).

It shocked me that the club was fairly empty even at 11 (girls are free before 11). We sat down at our booth and met up with everyone else, including Cindy, Jennifer, Jenn's friend, Becky and her two friends. Almost immediately, we all grabbed our drink tickets and headed for the open bar and ordered shots. Yes, the bar is all you can drink, so this would only be the start of our night. I ordered myself a shot of Jagermeister, while some of the others ordered tequilas and vodka. Cheers! We all took a shot and decided that this wasn't enough. By this time, Mindy, Julia, and Connie came in to join us in our shot-drinking festivities.


While waiting for everyone to grab their drinks, Connie and Mindy join the group conversations with a shot of gin. I gave them a disgusted look, knowing that gin was not the greatest drink to get. I told them how terrible it tastes and immediately they handed their shots to Murphy, who took both for them. It was his first time at a club and I was sure that he wouldn't be remembering much of it by tomorrow. I mean, he already had about 5-6 shots within the last 20 minutes. Not a good idea. Well, we took our shots, ordered a cocktail drink and returned to our table.

For the next 10-20 minutes or so, we sat in our booth, socializing and waiting for the alcohol to kick in. Apparently, Becky and her friends already had quite a lot of shots before I arrived, so she and her friends were more than ready to start dancing. At this point, the club was starting to get packed, but everyone crowded around the dance floor. Why?! As you might imagine, the majority of the club-goers were male and were waiting for some women to get their freak on. Our group became the first to step onto the floor and start our (and everyone's) night. And as I expected, several males start crowding around the girls, attempting to "get some," but we just kept rotating around for the hell of it. Trollin' trollin' trollin'.


In about 5-10 minutes, the floor was filled. We just continued dancing with me busting out my awkward dancing. Murphy was already gone. He wasn't able to dance with us, and even though he tried, we could tell that he wasn't feeling at the top of his game. Another 5-10 minutes or so and a group of Hong Kong guys start dancing with the Hong Kong girls in our group. Jen joins them shortly after to watch after her children and Jeff cockblocks Cindy and her newfound "friend," but eventually we let them do as they like. Heh.

I got a bit tired of jumping, dancing, and flailing my flimsy arms around, so I returned to our booth and hung out there for a little bit. We started taking pictures to commemorate our last time clubbing in Taiwan with our Californian group. Holding a conversation in the club at this point was near impossible, so my phone became the "texting chatroom," as it was passed around the crowd. Slam! I turned around and noticed that Murphy had slammed his hands on the table, throwing out those f-bombs. Well then. While all this was going on, my friends and I would occasionally get out of our seats and return to the dance floor or dance in our booth. The girls got a bit crazy and took over the stage. Jeff tried to climb up to dance too, but was kicked off by the security guard. Haha!

While the girls were doing their own things on stage, Mindy, Jeff and I were in our booths dancing. The guy in the next-door booth grabbed me out and had me dance with him and his female friend, who was on stage. Can't keep up. He was twisting his hips, brushing his hair back, getting low, and doing all these moves that I just can't compare with. After a minute or so, Jeff and Mindy join in and we all began dancing together for a bit before Mindy has her fun dance with another guy next door with some rather similar moves. The guy said something in my ears, but again, I can't hear anyone in that club, so I just brushed it off. None the less, we were all having tons of fun, disregarding how we look to the public.




Yup, just flailing my arms like these guys.

At around 2:30am, Cindy returns. It was obvious that she was tired, so Jeff and Justin ended up taking her home before everyone else. Jeff also asked Murphy if he wanted to go back, but he refused, leaving me in charge of watching over him. The remaining of the night consisted of a few more drinks and dancing in our booth. As the time started nearing 4:00am, we decided that it was time to go back.

$200TWD. Jen paid the taxi fee and we all got off. We all headed into the 24-hour 7-11 to grab some water and drinks to wash down the alcohol. Dennis, a student from the University of California, Irvine, was found sitting at 7-11 with a few of his friends, chatting away. After our short exchange, we headed back to the dorms where I would drop Murphy off with Jeff and head back to my own room, on my bed where I'd knock out for the next 4.5 hours, smelling like cigarettes.


-Jeffjeff

&& A lot more happened at the club than I imagined, some of which isn't typed here, but these are the memories I plan to leave Taiwan with. The fun and excitement compacted into a 5-hour long night. Shoutout to Jen for planning all this!!

&& It's been 17 weeks and I still haven't memorized the location of my classroom. I walked into the wrong classroom today, sat down, and saw that a movie was playing. I remember our professor mentioning something about a movie we were supposed to watch this week, so I found it pretty normal. But shortly after, I found it weird that the teacher was playing the movie with Chinese subtitles. Wait. Isn't this a class for foreign students? I looked for anyone that possessed a non-Asian appearance, but ultimately realized that everyone in that room was Taiwanese. I immediately stood up and left the room in an awkward fashion. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment