Saturday, April 2, 2016

Boston Days 180-189: Almost Done!

Again, I've been neglecting my blog, since I've been spending my "free time" watching TV shows or playing games instead. However, what prompted me to blog today is due to the restless sleep I've been getting recently.

I've mentioned before that I tend to mess up my sleeping schedule after major exams, which is exactly what happened. After my physiology midterm, I haven't been able to readjust my biological clock to follow the correct wake/sleep cycle. For a few days, I took melatonin at around 1 or 2 AM so that I'd be able to acquire adequate sleep; however, the feeling of lethargy still ails me during the day. Not even coffee is able to keep me awake...


Because of this issue, my brain decides to work actively at night, bringing dreams to life (not literally, of course), none of which I can recall quite well. In one of the earlier ones, I was a high school student in present day, meaning I wasn't born for another ~10 years. I was at school and noticed that Brandon and his friends were huge jerks (-cough-douchebags-cough-). In another dream, I was a college student still living in the house I grew up in. I left for class, but realized something was wrong and returned home. I looked into the mirror and realized that I'm having a major allergy reaction, leaving me with swollen red blotches all over my face and body. Why were these dreams all negative? I can only assume that the weird sleeping schedule and stress is getting to me in my sleep.

The last dream I could remember was a better one, but it involved people I've never met before. I was living in a two story home with a random family and (maybe) some random people. None of them were really my age, but I did make a friend in the dream. I remember playing some video game with him, winning every single time against him. One of the games involved chasing and catching a rat to gain points, but I would always knock my opponent's character away or off some ledge. Heh. In another segment of my dream, I could remember heading to the mall without my shoes on to meet with this girl that I've never met before. Oddly enough, the dream seemed more realistic than most of my other dreams, in terms of the setting and emotions conveyed, so if I were to live in some alternate universe, I'd imagine it to be something like this.

Anyway, aside from all this dreaming and sleeping business, there are some school-related things I wanted everyone to know!

I spoke with the program director to discuss future plans. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've been doing relatively well this semester, but the first semester grades could potentially jeopardize my chances to get into the medical schools I want. So in order to gauge my chances, I asked the director what her opinion was on the matter, and she suggested that I stay in Boston next year. Obviously, if I could, I'd avoid it like the plague. Boston's cold weather and the lack of a convenient form of transportation discourages me to stay, but that one year could make a huge difference for me.

I'll be taking extra classes, while working in a lab to complete my research thesis. If I were to write a literature thesis, I wouldn't get a grade for the 8 thesis units and my GPA will remain static. Of course, none of this would take effect until summer 2017, which means applying this summer wouldn't do me much good. Regardless, I will still apply in June, just in case. The sudden decision to stay on the east coast would also ruin some of the plans I've made this summer, including that Coldplay concert I mentioned in another post. That being said, I may have to give it up or sell it...


PC: Amy

GRAD life, SAD life.

-Jeffjeff

&& OH right... I only have one more month of school. Yay~

No comments:

Post a Comment