Sunday, February 7, 2016

Boston Days 136-139: Snow Hates Me...

Friday: I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying it, but I hate the cold. Believe me when I say I love seeing snow, but experiencing it is not in the least bit pleasant. On Friday, I left home at around 1PM to school during a storm. I missed my bus because I spent too much time trying put on my snow boots. I never had to wear them before, so I was a bit confused when I saw the extra hooks on the sides of my shoes. Then there was the matter of comfortableness. How tight was I supposed to tie these boots? Are my jeans supposed to go inside the boot or outside? I kept trying out different ways of putting on these damn boots that 10 minutes went by in an instant.

Anyway, since I missed the bus, I decided to take the subway down one more stop than usual and walk to class. I could've waited for another bus at a different stop, but the schedules were unreliable during the storm. As I was walking down Massachusetts Ave. or "Mass Ave" as we like to call it, a bus comes rolling in a little too close to the curb. It speeds over a huge puddle of dirty roadside slush and next thing I knew, I was covered in it. My pants were now soaked on one side and my backpack was drenched. It instantly became one of those days where I wanted to turn tail and head home. Why couldn't our school follow the elementary schools and shut down during the storm? I decided to come up with a little slogan for graduate school and it goes like: GRAD life, SAD life. Sounds about right, huh?


The rest of the day wasn't nearly as bad. I took a quiz that apparently made half the people in the program want to quit at that moment. It was one of those exams where everyone comes in feeling like they know everything, but when they take the test, it's as if they hadn't prepared at all. Honestly, it was a little demotivating.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday: I'm going to jump back a day. I spent my entire Thursday at the library on the main campus of BU. For those who don't know, the medical campus is separate from the main campus, making the daily commute for me that much harder.

I spent the first hour or so focused on gaining Coldplay tickets for the summer, and guess what? We (Samantha, Jenn, and I) managed to snatch some pretty good seats! We almost settled on some pretty terrible seats in the 20th row for the same price, but we ultimately found some that were in the 7th row. It may sound close, but we're still nowhere near the stage. Unfortunately, we'd have to throw down an extra $50 to get floor seats or seats closer to the stage. Meh. Still... so excited to see their potentially last tour!


For the next few hours, my friend and I were studying the mechanisms behind oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange in the lungs as well as the mechanical forces involved in lung compliance. With all the equations thrown at us, it practically felt like general chemistry all over again. Ugh.

I coincidentally bumped into another friend in the library and we ended up grabbing some late night dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant. We got a free dish (since they were closing) along with our pho. I wanted Taiwanese food to be honest, but it was 10:30PM and most places were already closed. As we were eating, my two "thirsty" friends starting discussing their Tinder experiences. If you didn't know, Tinder is a dating app that people use to find "matches" in the area you're residing in. The conversation eventually led to their sex lives; it went from zero to a hundred in just few seconds and the vivid descriptions started happening. And suddenly, my appetite became nonexistent.

The rest of the night involved having my hopes of getting boba crushed and waiting at a bus stop for twenty minutes at 11PM for the bus in some rain. Grad life, sad life.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday: I'm jumping ahead now. My sleeping schedule hasn't been fixed, in fact I'm seriously confused at what my body wants at this point. I was extremely tired at 9PM Friday, so I decided to sleep, thinking that my body isn't stupid enough to wake up in 3 hours. But boy was I wrong. It was sometime past 1AM and my eyes open up. I didn't want to climb out of bed in fear that I'd be unable to fall back asleep, so I laid in bed... for the next 6 hours. Those six hours were spent watching youtube videos, playing games, reading, and chatting with friends. As boring as the videos and stories were, I couldn't drift back into sleep no matter how hard I tried. Maybe those melatonin pills aren't such a bad idea anymore...


Saturday, I climb out of bed at 4PM (my entire day wasted). I showered, brushed up, made myself some dumplings, and brewed a pot of coffee. Anthony comes to my room sometime after I eat and we talked for a bit about his 1960's film camera. You know, those kinds where you have to crank a knob to get it started and are heavy as hell? Yeah, those. After his little show-and-tell, I suggested we grabbed some groceries before the upcoming winter storm. Last thing I wanted was to be stuck at home with no food for several days straight. After a short discussion, we decided to leave right away.

As we were cleaning off the 6 inches of snow off his car. Some man came up to me and asked me to borrow my phone for a call. I agreed, and dialed the number, never letting go of my phone of course. I placed the call on speaker and I could hear the call going through. After a while, a man picks up and these two start talking. Next thing I knew, my phone is mediating a conversation between a drug dealer and his customer. The man over the phone is now threatening the man next to me to get the money (7 months late) to him otherwise he'd kill him. Wow. The man over the phone hangs up and now I'm worried that I'll get future phone calls from that seemingly violent drug dealer. Lesson learned. That'll be the last phone call I make for strangers.

-Jeffjeff

Dream Log: My dream started out in my old home, one that I've moved out of years and years ago. My brother and I were preparing to drink some water, but there was only contaminated water flushing out of the faucets. The water was visibly brown with dirt mixed in; the taste on the other hand, was metallic, just how I'd expect dirt to be. Disgusting. I gave up on the idea of drinking water and headed to my room. I started playing Fire Emblem on my 3DS and then I get a text from Brandon explaining how he just got the game and wants me to help him. Yay~ The dream continues with just more games. After Fire Emblem, we were playing Super Mario World (SNES). We were playing co-op mode, but Brandon kept dying. Haha! Still found it amusing nonetheless. We moved onto an MMORPG after and my dream would end there. I woke up feeling content, as if I just got a few days worth of destressing done in a few hours of sleep. Heh.

1 comment: