Arthur & the Chu family: My relatives that have been taking care of me all this time, while I was in Taiwan. Every time we had an outing, they'd treat me to good food and drive me to famous landmarks of Taiwan. It would've been really different if they weren't here to support me and I'm really thankful for that. I'm always trying to think of ways to express my thankfulness, but I can't match them. Just recently, my aunt sacrificed some of her time to take me to doctors, so I feel like a "thank you" is not enough. It's a bittersweet feeling really. Also, there were so many instances where I would be late to an appointment to eat with them. I feel bad for doing that, but sometimes I get too caught up with school, lab, judo, etc that I can't go to their home on time. Thank you for putting up with the problems I've caused you and thank you for all you've done for me!! Summary: They're my foundation and support in Taiwan.
Exploring Japan with my cousin!
Ethan: He was the first Taiwanese friend I made. We met on the second MLC (multilingual club) meeting and since then he has always been willing to take me around Taipei. Although schoolwork has been holding us back, I'm still really glad to have met him. As a foreigner, I didn't know what were some of the good places to eat around Gongguan 公館. Apart from taking me to nearby restaurants, he also taught me what he knew about tennis and gave me the opportunity to practice with him. I also had the opportunity to visit the ice cream/shaved ice shop his family owns in Beitou and after seeing his family, I can see where his kindness and friendliness comes from. Haha! Summary: He was the first to make me feel welcomed in Taiwan and that meant a lot to me.
Eric & Sabrina: Since Ethan has been more busy with biology homework, Eric and Sabrina were often the people I'd be hanging out with before and during the MLC meetings. They also took us (Jomi and me) to eat at nearby restaurants. We would often compare Taiwan with the United States when we asked questions, but who wouldn't be curious about another country's culture and society, right? I'm going to miss having our "dinner before club" moments. I'll be sure to call you guys up again next year when I return for a visit! But, you're always welcome to visit America too!! Summary: They helped relieve some of that loneliness I felt when I first arrived at Taiwan.
With Eric (left) and Ethan (middle) eating paper hotpot!
Henry: He was the most recent friend I've made in judo class/club. There was a period when I was afraid of attending judo club. The strenuous activities and exercise always got me injured or left me with a sore body. One time, he spoke to me about how scary his experience was when he went alone (he got thrown around by a senior, haha!), so he asked if I could go. I hadn't planned on going, but I just went along and went. In the end, I got thrown around, but I figured, if a friend was there, then it wouldn't be so bad. In the end we started talking a lot and hanging out more often. I was honestly surprised that he was so willing to hang out with me. Thanks for keeping me company & hopefully I'll be seeing you again sometime soon! Summary: Becoming friends with Henry motivated me to go to Judo regularly and be more open to local Taiwanese students.
Finally done with finals!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Becky: First thing that comes to mind is our Penghu trip. You were my motorcycle buddy for those 4 days and it was so much fun. Driving slow like a grandma, while talking to you and getting bugs in my mouth was rather exciting. And we can't forget your ghetto shower music. Haha! The other memory I have of you was when you were so eager to get everyone drunk at the club. Too funny. Let's hang again when I visit SF!!
I remember passing over some of that ocean to your clothes during this ride. Haha!
Cindy: I think I will forever remember you as the girl who gets really caught up in Resistance. Haha! You'll always be a spy/mafia, even if your a villager/resistance because you're so good at lying. Ever since that first game when you broke everyone's hearts. Just kidding! But really, I'll miss hanging out with you and playing card games. I regret not being able to go to Hong Kong to hang out with you guys after school ended, but I'm sure you guys had tons of fun. Hopefully I'll see you again when I visit San Francisco this summer!!
Going to miss Cindy's crazy side at those clubs (middle right)
Connie: #selfie. I think I'll always remember you as the girl who vlogs and takes tons of selfies (with that selfie stick of yours). Haha! I'm going to miss hanging out with you. I noticed that every time I spoke with you, I would talk a crap ton. You were the easiest person to talk to in my opinion and I'm going to miss our talks and our food/cafe outings (that I rarely got to go on) with everyone else. But since you live so close, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon! Good luck with your nursing exams and volunteering.
加油 Connie!!
The Jeffs @ Penghu!
Jennifer: J Wang! First and foremost I want to thank you for reaching out to me before I came to Taiwan. It made me feel like I had someone to hang out with that also spoke English before coming. Honestly, I think I was pretty nervous before arriving, but you helped ease that anxiousness. I can't believe we pulled so many all-nighters during finals week this semester, but I'm glad I had someone to keep me company. Haha! Definitely can't say I'm going to miss those all-nighters, but definitely those short intervals where we got to talk (about life... and mosquitoes).
J.Wang x2
Jessica: Hakka buddy! Although we didn't get a lot of chances to hang out during the school year, it was always fun whenever we did. I could bring out all that sass when you're there (that I dare not expose to other people). I remember on the day of orientation, I introduced myself to you because I heard you were from California. Then we just talked, while attending that terrible orientation tour. Wish you weren't so busy so we could have hung out more when we went on our road trips! Have fun in Taiwan over the summer!!
V for Vong. Ngai xiong Vong.
JonMichael (Jomi): I didn't really get to know you until MLC, but those times with Murphy, Eric, Sabrina, and Ethan were unforgettable. Also, thanks for planning that Tainan trip early in the quarter, I think that was when I felt like I grew closer to all of you guys. I wish we had more time to play tennis, but Taiwan's unpredictable weather gets the better of us sometimes. Thank you again for the photo, I'll be sure to find a frame for it and put it somewhere in my room! Hope to see you back in the states!
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
The first time I met Julia (Bottom left)
Going to miss Mindy's photogenic facial expressions... LOL!
For those I didn't mention, you guys were all a part of my study abroad experience and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm so glad I got to meet all of you guys because it's because of you guys that made this trip better than what I was expecting. Thank you guys so much! Hopefully, I'll be seeing you guys again soon!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hugs,
Jeffjeff
&& I'll miss you guys!!













No comments:
Post a Comment