The post title may suggest that it's been a while since I've posted, which is true, but what I meant is "It's been a while since I've been this stressed."
I would like to note that this post is to help me get some ideas out and pressure off my chest, but I'd still love to hear your opinions or thoughts.
Most of you already know that I've graduated from UC Santa Barbara. Most of you also know that I've been working for my dad since. I knew for the longest time that my dad has hopes that I'd one day take over his recycling business, but I never really (deeply) thought about the issue.
He spoke to me this morning about his ideas and thoughts on the matter. Although he mentioned phrases like "no pressure" or "think about it," it's pretty clear that he really wants me to continue working for his company as a buyer. He went on about the benefits of working in the office, such as the freedom, opportunity to travel, and salary. It sounds so simple, but I know it isn't. Thing is, I'm not an expert when it comes to handling business matters or let alone, understanding it. From his words, working for him sounds like it's all sunshine and rainbows, but I know that jumping into the business industry can be tough and stressful at times. Since I started working for him, there have already been many ups and downs, due to China's recycling economy. With the issues at the west coast ports, holidays like Chinese New Year, and countless implementations of policies regarding imports of plastic materials; working in the recycling industry has never been tougher. Of course, if all goes well, I'll be able to earn a stable (or more-than-stable) salary, which leads to early investments and $$$$.
To me, money isn't everything. I definitely care more about doing something I love rather than earning bank, but if you asked me if I hated this job, my answer would be "no." I don't hate this job, but I can't say I enjoy it either... not yet at least. It's nice sitting in the office, handling phone calls and emails once in a while, but I don't have the motivation to expand our company. I'm not much of a talker. I mean, I can (if the need arises), but I find it a bit too stressful, especially when you're still a greenhorn in the industry.
Anyway... On the other hand, I have the choice of continuing my pursuit of becoming a physician. Helping people. Receiving a stable pay. Meeting countless people (around my age). It just sounds so much more appealing to me, but none of this will bear fruit for another 8 YEARS. I'll have a year or two of the special masters program, followed by med school and ending with a 2-year residency. Loans will be piled up nice and high, so in actuality, my "stable pay" will only be repaying my loans for several years. Investments comes WAY later. On top of that, I have to endure 8 years of homework, tests, lectures, and the such (aka stress).
I don't know... I still have time to make a decision, but I'm worried I'll regret it. I don't want to jump into the medical field only to turn back, throw away my past accomplishments and experiences, and jump onto the "business boat" or vice versa. I just wish I had more time. I mean, why couldn't the Earth spin slower and give us 40-hour days. Haha! Then perhaps I could juggle both careers at the same time. Perhaps...
Nonetheless, I've already decided that I'll do as much as I can for the company before summer comes when I'll have to make a decision. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
-Jeffjeff


No comments:
Post a Comment